From the Friends & Farmers Cooperative Board:
Maybe you’ve replied to a Friends & Farmers e-mail. Maybe you’ve heard a bit about the co-op and want to get more involved. Or maybe we’ve heard of you and thought you’d be a good fit for this adventure.
We’re hoping you’ll bring your passion and skills to Webster’s at 7 p.m. Wednesday, November 20 for an important Friends & Farmers volunteer meeting.
Friends & Farmers Cooperative aims to open a member-owned, cooperative grocery store that will specialize in local, sustainably produced products, be open to all people and strengthen the community and local economy with good food.
But we can’t pull this off without substantial community engagement. On November 20th we’ll meet in small task groups that will take our co-op to the next stage. We’re looking for volunteers with all sorts of skills, but some of our immediate needs include event planning, communications/outreach, technology, and fundraising (grant-writing). If you haven’t already told us how you can contribute, let us know.
Bring your energy and ideas on the 20th. Bring a friend, too. We’re hoping to create something transformational, and we’re hoping you’ll be along for the ride.
Let us know if you can make it. We’ll be in the community room.
Mission – The Friends & Farmers Cooperative aims to:
- support the local economy by giving local producers priority on store shelves;
- offer convenient, healthy, and delicious locally prepared foods;
- inspire healthy eating habits through education and transparent labeling;
- draw the community together in an inviting atmosphere;
- become a one-stop shop providing everything a community needs in a grocery.
Outreach Events Attended by Friends & Farmers:
- First Annual Pennsylvania Organic Farm Fest (tabling), August, 2012
- State College LightStepRightStep (tabling), September, 2012
- Co-hosted Spring Creek Homesteading Potluck, September, 2012
- Appalachian Outdoors Fall Expo, October, 2012
- Harvest Dinner Fundraiser, Greenmoore Gardens, October, 2012
- Private fundraiser, December, 2012
- Grace Lutheran Church Sustainability Dinner (tabling), January, 2013
- Supported PASA Conference children’s education programs, February, 2013
- Panel discussion on local foods for the Young Scholars Charter School, February, 2013
- NewLeaf Initiative workshop on local foods, March, 2013
- Living Local Health and Wellness Expo, March, 2013
- Local screening of American Meat documentary, April, 2013
- Presentation to State College Young Professionals, April, 2013
- One-year Anniversary Celebration at Webster’s Cafe, a local coffee shop supporting community initiatives, April 2013
- Contempo Artisan Boutique Mother’s Day event (tabling), May, 2013
- State College Music Festival (tabling), June, 2013
- Culinary Week, shared table and local meat presentation with Chef Monk, June, 2013
- Tait Farm Summer Solstice Silent Auction donation, June, 2013
- Second Annual Pennsylvania Organic Farm Fest (tabling), August, 2013